Sample Quiz File
##title=Choose the Correct Verb Form
##date=April 23, 1999
// Any number of questions is allowed by the program.
She ___ in that office.
Ms. Franklin ___ us music.
Both my sister and I ___ how to bake bread.
I ___ a letter last Friday.
He ___ the window a few days ago.
Basic Quiz Data Structure
For Advanced Data Formatting, see below.
##writer=The Writer's Name
//Question must start on the next line.
Correct answer 1
Correct answer 2
Correct answer 3
How to Format Data Format
The question data must be in this format.
- 2 RETURNS before each question (one blank line) (Except the first question.)
- 1 RETURN after each line of the question item.
Line 1 - QUESTION
Line 2 - CORRECT Answer
Line 3 - INCORRECT Answer - At least 1 is required
Line 4 - INCORRECT Answer - The rest are optional. (Up to 2 incorrect choices for Marmo's)
Line 5 - INCORRECT Answer
Line 7 - INCORRECT Answer (Up to 5 incorrect choices for a4esl.org/q/f/) Flash
Some of the Features
- You can create the data using a regular word processor.
- This allows you to write quizzes offline. You do not need to be connected.
- This allows you to run a spell checker and use other features of your word processor.
- This allows you to easily archive your quizzes for future use. (Maybe in the future, I'll have different quiz formats. You will not need to re-type your data in order to use these.)
- You can use the same data file to generate quizzes in various formats.
- ...or re-generate the same quiz format with another randomization of the choices.
- The computer does the tedious work for you.
- Mulitple-choices are randomly shuffled.
- For printed quizzes, the answer key is provided for you. No chance of human error if you have typed your data properly (which is easy to do).
- You can easily edit the quiz data.
- You can easily delete and add questions.
- You can easily eliminate poorly-chosen distractors and replace them with new ones for the same quiz next year.
- You can add more distractors to questions that only have a few choices.
- Questions do not all need to have the same number of choices.
- You can have some questions with 2 choices, others with 6 choices, if you like.
- Even though some of the online quizzes may not show all the choices, you may still include extra distractors in your data.
- You can include feedback for any choice. You may also include a hint on how to answer the question.
- All quizzes will not use these, but including them in the data will not interfere with quiz generation.
Optional Data that may be Included
Though these may appear anywhere in the document, it would be best to put them just before the questions.
You may omit any of these. However, the ##title and the ##writer seem to be something you should include.
- ##title=The Quiz Title
- ##instructions=Please choose the correct answer.
- ##writer=The Writer's Name
- ##url= http://writer's URL.
- If included, then the writer's name will be clickable for web quizzes.
- ##date=February 14, 2003
- If not included, our computer will use today's data (Japan Standard Time).
- If not included, our computer will use this year.
- If not included, the default is iso-8859-1.
- ##description=This is the meta description for the web page.
- ##keywords=These are the meta keywords for the web page.
- ##footer=You may add a line at the bottom of some of the web quizzes.
- There is a default footer for some of the web quizzes. This will often replace those. It depends on the quiz.
- ## any line beginning with 2 #'s is a variable. You may use variables that I have yet to define, if you like. Undefined variables will be ignored. This means you can make up your own (temporary) variable, then request that I add it. (If I agree it's a good idea and if I have the time, I will.)
- // Comments begin with 2 slashes at the beginning of a line. These are for memos to yourself, but do not appear on the quizzes.
Advanced Quiz Data Structure
Each line may include a TAB.
What comes before the TAB is the same as the quiz data explained above.
What comes after the TAB, is either a hint or feedback.
LINE 1: question + TAB + hint
LINE 2: correct answer + TAB + why the correct answer is correct.
LINE 3: wrong answer + TAB + why this answer is wrong.
LINE 4: wrong answer + TAB + why this answer is wrong.
LINE 5: wrong answer + TAB + why this answer is wrong.
LINE 6: wrong answer + TAB + why this answer is wrong.
LINE 7: wrong answer + TAB + why this answer is wrong.
Some Quizzes Don't Use the Advanced Features
All of the above "advanced" variables may not be available to all quiz formats that the generator handles.
For quizzes that don't use these variables, they are gracefully ignored.
- The "hint" variable is available to quizzes at ...
- Jerry Stanbrough's Applet Quiz
- The "why this is correct" variable is available to quizzes at ...
- Hot Potatoes
- Jerry Stanbrough's Applet Quiz
- The "why this is wrong" variable is available to quizzes at ...
- Hot Potatoes
Sample Quiz File with Advanced Additions
The "tabs" are not visible, but they should be there.
She ___ in that office. The subject is singular.
works Explain why it's correct here.
work Explain why it is wrong here.
working Explain why it is wrong here.
Ms. Franklin ___ us music. HINT:
teaches WHY CORRECT:
teach WHY WRONG: ....
teaching WHY WRONG: ....
teachs WHY WRONG: ....
Both my sister and I ___ how to bake bread. HINT:
know WHY CORRECT:
knows WHY WRONG: ....
knowing WHY WRONG: ....
are knowing WHY WRONG: ....
am know WHY WRONG: ....
I ___ a letter last Friday. HINT:
wrote WHY CORRECT:
write WHY WRONG: ....
writing WHY WRONG: ....
will write WHY WRONG: ....
written WHY WRONG: ....
writes WHY WRONG: ....
He ___ the window a few days ago. HINT:
break WHY WRONG: ....
breaks WHY WRONG: ....